Hello Deers & Squirrels,
Here are some resources to help you whilst at home. If you can, create a schedule/routine which works for you that include our activities. There are lots of different ways to join-in, through activities/videos posted on Evidence for Learning or joining daily Zoom sessions alongside Deer Class.
Please do share activities you have been doing on Evidence for Learning so that we can celebrate these. Let us know if you have forgotten your logins or need help, we can reset these for you.
Walking Through the Jungle is our current topic story, Man on the Moon will be our next topic book. Please find home learning ideas attached below.
Scroll down to see other resources such as themed Makaton signs to practise and links you may find helpful.
Deers & Squirrels Teams
Home Learning Timetable
Top Tips for Home Learning
Create a routine and a timetable for the day. This can be presented visually daily of weekly.
Make learning as fun as possible, with games and everyday play.
- Build in:
- Tasks around the home that will support your family routine and improve self-help, independence, and life skills. These can include successfully completing daily self-care routines e.g. brushing their teeth having a shower or bath, tidying their bedroom, helping to sort the washing, simple cooking and helping with shopping lists and putting it away, recycling
- Opportunities for daily exercise
- Opportunities to be creative in play and use board games to help develop their maths thinking and understanding and social skills
- Opportunities to read a range of materials, these can include books, magazines, instructions
- Opportunities to write for a purpose e.g. shopping list , letter or postcards to friends and family
To support you and your child
-Recognise what your child does well and praise them.
-Breakdown instructions into small manageable tasks.
-Model by sitting together and each of you completing the task
-Provide visual and/or written prompts to support independent task completion
-Repeat tasks as often as they are needed – this helps to generalise skills , and move them from short to long term memory
BUT the most important thing is: Be kind to yourself and your child – As much as you are trying to implement a schedule it does not need to be set in stone. If something does not go according to plan do not panic or worry about it. These are challenging times, and some days will not go as well as others. You are all wonderful parents/carers doing an amazing job!! If you need help or guidance please ask.
Useful Links & Resources
Walking Through the Jungle
Animal Live Cam https://explore.org/livecams
Man on the Moon
Earth Live Cam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEIk7gwjgIM